Monday, May 21, 2012

Mother's Day Gifts - Personalized Wall Hanging Tutorial

This Mother's Day, I wanted to make something special for my wonderful mother. But this particular Mother's Day was extra special for my family; my 89 year old Grandmother was in town, and my sister and sister-in-law have both had a baby within the last 6 months.  I wanted to do something special for all of them on this Mother's Day.  I didn't want to just buy them something, I wanted to make something personal, that would be special to each of them.  Here is what I came up with!


You could improvise this idea and  instead of a Bible verse, you could do a name and birth date for a new baby, a quote, memory, or whatever would be personal to you or the loved one you're giving it to. 

Supplies:

·         2 – 5” x 5” square wood blocks
·         Sandpaper
·         Black paint
       Foam brush
·         1 sheet of patterned scrapbooking paper
·         1 sheet of solid colored cardstock
·         Mod Podge
·         Photo – 4” x 4”
·         Double-sided satin ribbon

We start off with unfinished blocks.  
I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $1.33 each.


Sand them with sandpaper to smooth the edges, and help the paint adhere.
Paint them black (or your desired color)


Once they are dry, sand the edges to allow the wood to show through, creating an aged look.


Print out the desired verse or quote on a piece of solid card stock.  Cut into a 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" square.  I ripped the edges rather than cutting them to add to the aged look.
Cut the patterned scrapbooking paper into a 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" square. 
Apply Mod Podge to block, and back of scrapbooking paper.  Place paper on block, and apply more Mod Podge on top.  Apply Mod Podge to verse square, and place on top of scrapbooking paper.  Smooth out bubbles, and smooth a good coat of Mod Podge over all the paper. Let dry completely. Mod Podge will be clear when it is dry.



Attach 4" x 4" photo to second block with Mod Podge in the same manner.



Cut 1 yard of double-sided satin ribbon.  Attach with staples to back of blocks in a loop.


Tie extra ribbon at the top in a bow.


I was so happy with the finished product!


I bought brown paper bags, and cut the extra scrapbooking paper into a square to use as the name tag.  I attached it with skinny black ribbon, and packaged the wall hanging in white tissue paper. 



All the girls absolutely loved them! I hope this inspires you to make a personalized gift for someone special in your life.  Nothing is as special as a personal, homemade gift!





No comments:

Post a Comment